- 1 slice of your favorite kind of bread
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 whole Egg
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
This is a lovely quick and easy recipe if you are having a hectic morning. This recipe goes by many names: Egg in a Hole, Toad in a Hole, Eggs in a Raft, Howdy Doody Eggs—whatever you call this toast-and-egg-based breakfast, it’s a fun and filling way to start the morning.
- Cut a hole in the center of the slice of bread.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and melt a tablespoon of butter in it. When the butter is all spread out, place the piece of bread in the skillet and crack the egg straight into the center of hole.
- Cook for at least a minute or so before attempting to move the bread or things could get messy. Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper (or other seasoning) to taste. After about a 2-3 minutes, flip it over and salt and pepper (or other seasoning) the other side.
- Now move the whole piece of toast around the skillet, soaking up all of the glorious butter. Let it cook until the yolk feels, to the touch, still soft without feeling over-jiggly. Make sure you do not burn the toast – golden brown and not burnt.