- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1 lime ( 2 tablespoons lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs. pork tenderloin
- 12 oz. of root beer (A&W Root Beer is what I use)
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
This is a very successful recipe , not only in the house but when I bring it to parties. I never get any leftovers if brought to someone else’s house. I know there are a lot of root beer pulled pork recipes out there, but do I dare say that this one is by far the best. Root beer provides some flavor, but I wanted to do more with it. So I like to add additional spices as a rub and have them soak in to the pork as it slow cooks. If you want you do not need to add BBQ sauce, but hey we are talking about BBQ sauce – I love it so I add it!
Also, since this is made in a crock pot, it’s a perfect meal for any day of the week. It requires no attention until you have to shred the pork and pour over the BBQ sauce.
So everyone that has enjoyed this recipe when I bring it to parties – here it finally is! Enjoy and let me know what you do differently!
- Juice the lime into a small bowl and add olive oil. Mix in spices and stir to combine.
- Rub the pork with the rub mixture.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker.
- Pour the root beer over the pork.
- Turn your slow cooker on low and let it cook for 7 hours.
- After 7 hours, take out your pork and set it on a cutting board.
- Dump out the root beer from the slow cooker.
- Shred your pork. It’ll probably fall apart easily. You can do this with a fork.
- Put the shredded pork back in the slow cooker and pour all the BBQ sauce on top. Mix it around to coat every piece of pork.
- Let this cook for about another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Serve with hamburger buns or any other sandwich rolls and don’t be shy with the filling!