- 1 large sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 2/3 cup diced zucchini
- 1 can black beans, or another bean
- 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
As I prepare myself for Greek Orthodox lent and starting my fasting I find that you have to start think creatively and out-of-the-box on how you prepare your meals. During the 40 days of fasting you are limited and not allowed to eat meat, dairy, oil and wine. So I need to start thinking of new ways to prepare foods.
I love chili and it is always a great leftover meal for the week, so I decided to combine some vegetables, sweet potatoes and diced tomatoes for a hearty and very tasty chili.
- Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven or large pot, and bring to a boil.
- Then lower and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft (around 35-45 minutes).