- 8 flavored chicken sausages (or you can use hot or sweet Italian sausages whichever you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3-4 large green, red and yellow peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Game Day is only a week away! What better way to start your party than with Sausage and Peppers – something quick and easy that can be placed on an Italian roll or hoagie (you can even put it over pasta).
The first time I made this recipe was for my sons first birthday. It was such a hit that I didn’t even get a chance to have some! What I did was replaced Italian sausage with chicken sausage (you can get these at any market and they come flavored – spinach, tomato and artichoke is one of my favorites). I was asked throughout the party to share the recipe so here it is! Enjoy and let me know what you think!
- Heat the oil in a large pan, over medium heat.
- Add the sausages and cook, turning frequently.
- You want them browned all over and this takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the onions and stir up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Then after another a few minutes, add the peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, and dried oregano (and crushed red pepper flakes).
- After lowering the heat cook for another 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sausages are cooked through.